Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Spaghetti with onions and zucchini

Good way to sneak in veggies and make a jar of sauce go further. I don't make my own sauces. I am lazy that way. I only use Prego though in the dairy-free varieties, because they don't have high-fructose corn syrup in their sauce. And it tastes good. If your family has a hard time with zucchini, try using two and shredding them instead of dicing them. They hide easier that way. I also prefer my zucchini to be more crisp than soggy, so I don't cook it long.

2 Tbs olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 onion, diced
4 small zucchini, diced
1/2 pound ground beef
1 jar Prego sauce

Spaghetti, cooked according to package directions*

Heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent. Add garlic and ground beef. Cook until ground beef is no longer pink. Add zucchini, cook for a minute or two (just until slightly tender), then add the sauce and just heat through. Serve over prepared noodles.

*It's best to make the sauce first because it can simmer while you finish the spaghetti. If you start the water on high heat when you're starting the sauce, they should finish closer to the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment