Saturday, January 17, 2009

Pork chops ... mmmm.

We had pork chops, fried apples, green beans, and ramen noodles (not soup ...) for dinner. I realize it could've been healthier, but man ... some nights I want some comfort/southern grease. Kiddo said, "Well, tonight's a greasy dinner." She didn't eat much aside from her MEAT. WEIRD. She doesn't like meat.

The fried apples were hubby's favorite, which is also weird. 2 Tbs of earth balance (margarine) into a small saucepan, 2 large sliced apples, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, and 2 Tbs of sugar. Just cooked them over medium heat until they were tender.

I just sprinkled salt, pepper, and a little ground sage on the chops then cooked them over medium heat in my cast iron skillet that I'd put a little olive oil into. I got a good sear on them and they cooked beautifully. Only flip them ONCE, then let them rest before you serve/cut them. Easy, right? And delish. After I took them off the heat, I threw the frozen green beans in the pan, lowered the heat, and let them cook in the pork juices.

The ramen not soup thing is just how we grew up. Mom would cook the noodles, drain them, and then toss them with a little margarine and the seasonings packet. I never knew it was supposed to be soup until much later in life. lol.

I probably won't do the green beans in the pan again -- kiddo would eat them plain but not like that. And the ramen thing is something I'm trying to cut out of our diets as best as I can, but needed a quick side tonight since I woke up at 5:30 from my nap, which is when we're usually eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment